- IPA(key): /aˈbwela/, [aˈβwela]
- (dialectal) IPA(key): /aˈwela/
- (dialectal) IPA(key): /aˈɡwela/, [aˈɣwela]
- Rhymes: -ela
- grandmother, feminine equivalent of
- (colloquial) old woman
- (Mexico) a kind of flying ant (clarification of this definition is needed)
The noun abuelo is like most Spanish nouns with a human referent. The masculine forms are used when the referent is known to be male, a group of males, a group of mixed or unknown gender, or an individual of unknown or unspecified gender. The feminine forms are used if the referent is known to be female or a group of females.