- agüelo (eye dialect)
- IPA(key): /aˈbwelo/, [aˈβwelo]
- (dialectal) IPA(key): /aˈwelo/
- (dialectal) IPA(key): /aɡˈwelo/, [aɣˈwelo]
- Su abuelo es simpático.
- His grandfather is nice.
- (colloquial, affectionate) an elderly person
- loose tufts of hair in the nape when one's hair is messed up
The noun abuelo is like several other Spanish nouns with a human referent. The masculine forms are used when the referent is known to be male, a group of males, a group of mixed or unknown gender, or an individual of unknown or unspecified gender. The feminine forms are used if the referent is known to be female or a group of females.
- (loose tufts of hair): tolano
- ^ Joan Coromines, Breve Diccionario Etimológico de la Lengua Castellana