Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪnˈdɪəɹɪŋ/, /ɛn-/
- (General American) IPA(key): /inˈdɪɹiŋ/
Audio (GA) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪərɪŋ
- Hyphenation: en‧dear‧ing
- Inspiring affection or love, often in a childlike way.
- 1711 November 3, Joseph Addison; Richard Steele, “TUESDAY, October 23, 1711 [Julian calendar]”, in The Spectator, number 203; republished in Alexander Chalmers, editor, The Spectator; a New Edition […], volume III, New York, N.Y.: D. Appleton & Company, 1853, OCLC 191120697, pages 26–27:
- […] I dare not call him father, nor he, without shame, own me as his issue, I being illegitimate, and therefore deprived of that endearing tenderness and unparalleled satisfaction which a good man finds in the love and conversation of a parent.
- 1808, John [Andrew] Stevenson; Thomas Moore, “Believe Me, if All Those Endearing Young Charms”, in A Selection of Irish Melodies. […], second number, London: Printed and sold at J. Power's Music & Instrument Warehouse, […], OCLC 78035330, stanza I, page 112:
- BELIEVE me, if all those endearing young charms, / Which I gaze on so fondly to-day, / Were to change by to-morrow, and fleet in my arms, / Like fairy-gifts fading away,— / Thou wouldst stil be ador'd as this moment thou art, / Let thy loveliness fade as it will; / And around the dear ruin each wish of my heart / Would entwine itself verdantly still!
- 1983, Chad Evans, “The Road to British Columbia”, in Frontier Theatre: A History of Nineteenth-century Theatrical Entertainment in the Canadian Far West and Alaska, Victoria, B.C.: Sono Nis Press, →ISBN, page 143:
- In legitimate comedy actresses conformed to a Victorian image of coquetry. Most comediennes were termed soubrettes, after their inclination for depicting young women in a variety of situations, in which the soubrettes employed their diverse popular talents to heighten their endearing magnetism.
- 2017 December 1, Tom Breihan, “Mad Max: Fury Road Might Already be the Best Action Movie Ever Made”, in The A.V. Club, archived from the original on 22 February 2018:
- And yet [Nathan] Jones is perfect in Fury Road, a deeply dangerous human weapon who, because of his infantile need for respect from his father, somehow turns out endearing even though we see him ripping an engine from the hood and throwing it at the good guys.
inspiring affection or love
endearing (plural endearings)
- Synonym of .