Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) To make better, or improve, something perceived to be in a negative condition.
- They offered some compromises in an effort to ameliorate the situation.
- 1849–1861, Thomas Babington Macaulay, chapter 3, in The History of England from the Accession of James the Second, volumes (please specify |volume=I to V), London: Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, →OCLC:
- In every human being there is a wish to ameliorate his own condition.
- (intransitive) To become better; improve.
- See also Thesaurus:improve
to make better