Jump to navigation Jump to search
- In an anxious manner; with painful uncertainty; solicitously.
- He anxiously awaited the arrival of his child.
- 1909, Archibald Marshall [pseudonym; Arthur Hammond Marshall], chapter I, in The Squire’s Daughter, London: Methuen, OCLC 12026604; republished New York, N.Y.: Dodd, Mead and Company, 1919, OCLC 491297620:
- He tried to persuade Cicely to stay away from the ball-room for a fourth dance. […] But she said she must go back, and when they joined the crowd again […] she found her mother standing up before the seat on which she had sat all the evening searching anxiously for her with her eyes, and her father by her side.
- 1956 , Johanna Spyri, Heidi, translation of original by Eileen Hall, page 46:
- 'Even in summer, Grannie?' Heidi persisted anxiously.