Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
apparition (plural apparitions)
- An act of becoming visible; appearance; visibility.
- The thing appearing; a visible object; a form.
- Which apparition, it seems, was you. – Tatler.
- An unexpected, wonderful, or preternatural appearance; especially something such as a ghost or phantom.
- (astronomy) The first appearance of a star or other luminary after having been invisible or obscured;—opposed to occultation.
- (astronomy) A period of consecutive days or nights when a particular celestial body may be observed. An apparition begins with the heliacal rising of the body and ends with its heliacal setting.
- (act of becoming visible): appearance
- (a preternatural appearance): vision
- See also Wikisaurus:ghost
act of becoming visible
unexpected, wonderful, or preternatural appearance
astronomy: the first appearance of a luminary after having been invisible or obscured
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
apparition f (plural apparitions)