Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /əˈplɔːd/
- (US) IPA(key): /əˈplɔd/
- (cot–caught merger) IPA(key): /əˈplɑd/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɔːd
applaud (plural applauds)
- (transitive, intransitive) To express approval (of something) by clapping the hands.
- After the performance, the audience applauded for five minutes.
- (transitive, intransitive) To praise, or express approval for something or someone.
- Although we don't like your methods, we applaud your motives.
to express approval by clapping
to praise, or express approval by words
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked