Jump to navigation Jump to search
aquabib (plural aquabibs)
- (very rare, obsolete, derogatory) A teetotaler; one who does not consume alcohol.
- 1883, The Louisville Medical News: a weekly journal of medicine and surgery: Volumes 15-16:
- and aquabibs are epithets bestowed by the champions of alcohol in London upon the temperance folk.
- 1949, Julia Cooley Altrocchi, The spectacular San Franciscans:
- Dwight L. Moody and John B. Gough, the great aquabib, had commanded attention […]
- 1966, Robert Arnold Aubin, Topographical poetry in XVII-century Eng:
- While its more sober counterpart was directed to quite different ends by a pugnacious aquabib, William Henry Draper
- Proposed circa 1883 as a slur for members of the temperance movement, who would not drink alcohol.