Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Armageddon
Generalization of Armageddon.
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌɑː(ɹ).məˈɡɛ.dn̩/, /-ˈɡɛ.dən/
Audio (Berkshire, UK) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌɑɹ.məˈɡɛ.dn̩/, /-ˈɡɛ.dən/
- Rhymes: -ɛdən
- Hyphenation: ar‧ma‧ged‧don
armageddon (plural armageddons)
- The scene of a decisive conflict on a great scale.
- Any great and crucial conflict.
- 2009 February 13, Mark Lawson, “A tabloid Carmen”, in The Guardian:
- In comparison to Nixon-Mao, terrorism and armageddon, Anna Nicole Smith may seem lightweight, but it could prove an inspired choice.
- (chess) An armageddon round, usually played when a match would otherwise end in a draw, where black wins drawn games and white is given more time as compensation.
- apocalypse, catastrophe, day of reckoning, destruction, disaster, doomsday, judgement day, nuclear holocaust, end times, end of the world
The scene of a decisive conflict on a great scale
Any great and crucial conflict