Jump to navigation Jump to search
- attaindre (obsolete, rare)
attainder (plural attainders)
- (law, rare) The state a prisoner enters once a death sentence (usually for treason) had been issued; the state of being stripped of all civil rights.
- 1930, Norman Lindsay, Redheap, Sydney: Ure Smith, published 1965, page 139:
- Grandpa Piper led thereto by the arm [...] and himself thrust into a chair, to support the character of dummy to Henry's prearranged attainder.
- (obsolete) A stain; a state of dishonour or condemnation.