Jump to navigation Jump to search
autoped (plural autopeds)
- (historical) A motorized kick scooter, used from the early 1910s through the early 1920s.
- 1916, Illustrated World - Volume 26, page 353:
- There is no room for two on the autoped, that newest vehicle compromise between riding and walking.
- 1917, N.A.R.D. Journal - Volume 24, page 894:
- A Baltimore drug firm, that innocently sent a delivery boy “scooting” on an autoped through Druid Hill Park on an errand, was surprised later […]
- 1917, Bench and Bar - Volume 11, page 374:
- If a motor-cycle, why not bicycles, roller skates, autopeds, "scooters," stilts, and all other means of locomotion dear to the childish heart?
- 1965, Horizon:
- Peter Hitchman is the proud owner of another unusual motor-cycle — a French autoped dating from pre-1914 days.
The autoped differs from the modern electric scooter in that it had an internal combustion engine rather than an electric motor.