away with the fairies
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) Not all there; slightly crazy.
2000, Peter Watt, Cry of the Curlew:
- Now, I know the story is away with the fairies, but he produces a body and I take him down to the station to talk to the detectives.
2001, Finola Moorhead, Darkness More Visible:
- That was so ridiculous I laughed. A smile would crack Alison's poetic persona so she looked serious. She put her thin hand to her cheek like a lady writer in a photograph with eyes that could penetrate surfaces. She was certainly away with the fairies.
- 2005, Ben Wright and Michael Patrick Shiels Good Bounces and Bad Lies,
- Hobday was wild, mad, and totally away with the fairies.