Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Middle English axiltre; equivalent to axle + tree. Cognate with Icelandic öxultré.
axletree (plural axletrees)
- A bar or beam of wood or iron, connecting the opposite wheels of a carriage, on the ends of which the wheels revolve.
- Synonym: axlerod
- A spindle or axle of a wheel.
- A stimulus or driving force.
- 1831, L[etitia] E[lizabeth] L[andon], chapter X, in Romance and Reality. […], volume I, London: Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley, […], →OCLC, page 80:
- Soon after his arrival, that patent axletree of action, the not knowing what to do with himself, domesticated him during some weeks of the shooting season at Sillery House...
A rod connecting the opposite wheels of a carriage