Jump to navigation Jump to search
bandbox (plural bandboxes)
- A box of lightweight construction (e.g. cardboard, thin wood) for carrying hats or other apparel items.
- Hypernym: box
- 1836, Francis Egerton Earl of Ellesmere, Town and Country, page 6:
- There is a dangerous freshness in the hues / Of the new bonnets which that day produces / Bright from the bandbox, be they greens or blues; / The aspect of a new pelisse conduces / To gazings which the gazer often rues.
- A small baseball park conducive to scoring home runs.
- Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language. New York: Portland House, 1989. →ISBN.