Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Italianate) IPA(key): /bɹaɡaˈdoːt͡ʃo/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌbɹæ.ɡəˈdəʊ.t͡ʃəʊ/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌbɹæɡ.əˈdoʊ.ʃiˌoʊ/
- Hyphenation: brag‧ga‧do‧ci‧o
- A braggart.
1652, Thomas Urquhart, “Εκσκυβαλαυρον (The Jewel)”, in The Works of Sir Thomas Urquhart of Cromarty, Knight, Edinburgh: Thomas Maitland Dundrennan, published 1834, ISBN 0707303273, page 217:
- […] the Gasconads of France, Rodomontads of Spain, Fanfaronads of Italy, and Bragadochio brags of all other countries, could no more astonish his invincible heart, then would the cheeping of a mouse a bear robbed of her whelps.
- Empty boasting.
- For usage examples of this term, see Citations:braggadocio.
braggart — see braggart