Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪnz
- plural of
- (plural only) The substance of a brain as a material or foodstuff.
- Of course he's a zombie. He's shuffling his feet around, moaning ‘Braaains’, and drooling down his shirt.
- Shakespeare, Macbeth:
- I would, while it was smiling in my face,
- Have pluck'd my nipple from his boneless gums,
- And dash'd the brains out, had I so sworn as you
- Have done to this.
- (plural only, informal) The figurative substance of a brain: mental ability, intelligence.
- Sadly, I got my brains from my mom and my looks from the mailman.
- (plural only, informal, with 'the') The intelligent person or people in a group: the director, planner, administrator, &c.
- Who's the brains behind this operation?
- 1990, House of Cards, Season 1, Episode 1:
- I mean, it's a bit of a waste of money paying me eighteen grand to run errands, isn't it? Come on. I'm supposed to be the brains of this outfit.