Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Characterized by brawn; muscular, thewy; strong.
- Rattler was a big, brawny fellow, and he stepped up in front of me, rolling up his sleeves.
- 1749, [John Cleland], “(Please specify the letter or volume)”, in Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure [Fanny Hill], London: […] G. Fenton [i.e., Fenton and Ralph Griffiths] […], OCLC 731622352:
- As he stood on one side, for a minute or so, unbuttoning his waist-coat and breeches, her fat, brawny thighs hung down
- 1959, Steam's Finest Hour, edited by David P. Morgan, Kalmbach Publishing Co., page 68:
- Once the pressure of the comparatively low-drivered J's was raised to 300 pounds, they ranked as the brawniest of 4-8-4's with a tractive force of 80,000 pounds.
- Calloused; hardened.
characterized by brawn