Jump to navigation Jump to search
- burglarise (uncommon)
- (transitive, intransitive, chiefly Canada, US) To commit burglary. [from 1829]
- Synonym: burgle
- 1839 December 7, Mustard-Seed, “To Sir Charles Shaw, K. C. T. S., &c., &c.”, in Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, Manchester, page 6:
- [M]en exclaim against you as the most bungling of "cabbagers" ... that ever burglarised upon the property of Shakespeare!
- 1840 May 1, Shamrock, “Steeple-Chasing in Ireland”, in The Sporting Review, London, page 364:
- In this dilemma there were but two resources open to the infuriated stewards, -- one to carry the key vi et armis; the other, to burglarize the cellar.
- 1856 November 1, Louisville Daily Courier, Louisville, KY, page 3:
- Deaseley Brothers & Dodge, wholesale dry goods store, was burglarized last night, and three thousand dollars worth of silks taken. No arrests.
- 1856 December 16, The London Scoundrel, “A Plea for the Gallows (Letter to the Editor)”, in The Times, London, page 10:
- I also told you my house had been thoroughly burglarized three times,
- 1865 September 1, Upper Canada Law Journal, Toronto, page 228:
- We see in a telegraphic despatch from across the boundary line that a store was "burglarized" a short time ago.
- 1872, M. Schele De Vere, Americanisms: The English of the New World, New York: Charles Scribner, page 587:
- Burglarize, to, a term creeping into journalism. ... The word has a dangerous rival in the shorter burgle.
- 1903 March 31, “From Day To Day”, in The Express and Telegraph, Adelaide, page 1:
- During a recent burglary epidemic a police superintendent one night made a tour of inspection through the burglarised district.
- 1922, Victor Appleton, chapter 9, in Tom Swift And His Electric Locomotive, New York: Grossett and Dunlap, page 82:
- This attempt to burglarize the house betrayed the caliber of the enemy.
- 2007 December 14, Robert Muirhead, “Man sent to prison for robbing woman at gunpoint”, in Journal Inquirer.com, Connecticut, page 228:
- Police said they believed the woman interrupted Harvey as he attempted to burglarize nearby cars.