Jump to navigation Jump to search
From their general formula Cn(H2O)n; they were once thought to be hydrates of carbon.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /kɑːbəʊˈhaɪdɹeɪt/
- (US) IPA(key): /kɑːɹboʊˈhaɪdɹeɪt/
Audio (US) (file)
carbohydrate (plural carbohydrates)
- (organic chemistry, nutrition) A sugar, starch, or cellulose that is a food source of energy for an animal or plant; a saccharide.
- These microbes are primarily responsible for breaking down cellulose and other carbohydrates into volatile fatty acids (VFAs).
- (nutrition) a food rich in starch or other carbohydrates
- I'm cutting down on carbohydrates like bread and pasta.
- See also Thesaurus:carbohydrate
organic compounds such as sugar, starch or cellulose