Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Carver
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈkɑɹvɚ/
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈkɑːvə/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɑː(ɹ)və(ɹ)
- Homophone: calver (Received Pronunciation)
carver (plural carvers)
- Someone who carves; an artist who produces carvings.
- (dated) A carving knife.
- (dated) A butcher.
- An armchair as part of a set of dining chairs (originally for the person who is to carve the meat).
- 2000, JG Ballard, Super-Cannes, Fourth Estate, published 2011, page 215:
- She began a circuit of the dining room, peering at the baronial fireplace with its andirons the size of torture racks, and heavy oak carvers like gnarled thrones.
- (skiing) A ski with curved edges, allowing smooth turns.
one who carves