cease and desist
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Cease essentially meaning "stop", and desist meaning "not do it again."
- (idiomatic, law) To stop and not resume an action.
- We are told to cease and desist or we will cease to exist.
stop and not resume an action
- (law) A demanding that one "cease and desist from" continuing certain behavior, such as copyright infringement, trademark infringement, slander, or libel.
- a cease-and-desist letter; a cease-and-desist order
- Usually used attributively.