Jump to navigation Jump to search
- cælibacy (archaic)
- Abstaining from marriage; the state of being unmarried.
- 1920, American Lutheran Survey, volume 13-14, page 16:
- They came to believe that men, who would live a godly life, must view marriage as a sin and choose a life of celibacy.
- 1970, The Futurist, page 42:
- I could document this defense of celibacy. Unmarried women show up very well in all the tests of mental health.
- (by extension) Abstinence from sexual relations.
state of being unmarried
abstaining from sexual relations
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked