Jump to navigation Jump to search
celibate (not comparable)
- Not married.
- (by extension) Abstaining from sexual relations and pleasures.
- Members of religious communities sometimes take vows to remain celibate.
celibate (plural celibates)
- One who is not married, especially one who has taken a religious vow not to get married, usually because of being a member of a religious community.
- 1893, Matilda Joslyn Gage, Woman, Church and State: A Historical Account of the Status of Woman Through the Christian Ages: with Reminiscences of the Matriarchate:
- Even during the ages that priestly marriage was permitted, celibates obtained a higher reputation for sanctity and virtue than married priests, who infinitely more than celibates were believed subject to infestation by demons.
- (obsolete) A celibate state; celibacy.
person who is not married