Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfɹaɪɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfɹaɪə/
- Rhymes: -aɪə(r)
- Homophones: frier, fryer
friar (plural friars)
- A member of a mendicant Christian order such as the Augustinians, Carmelites (white friars), Franciscans (grey friars) or the Dominicans (black friars).
- (printing, dated) A white or pale patch on a printed page.
- An American fish, the silverside.
- (member of religious order): sister
member of certain Christian orders
- present tense of fria.