Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Friar
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfɹaɪə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfɹaɪɚ/
- Rhymes: -aɪə(ɹ)
- Homophones: frier, fryer
friar (plural friars)
- A member of a mendicant Christian order such as the Augustinians, Carmelites (white friars), Franciscans (grey friars) or the Dominicans (black friars).
- (printing, dated) A white or pale patch on a printed page caused by poor inking.
- An American fish, the silverside.
member of certain Christian orders
- one (traditionally a man) who proposes marriage
- frieri (“marriage proposal”)
- “friar” in The Nynorsk Dictionary.
- present tense of fria.