Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: choke hold
chokehold (plural chokeholds)
- (martial arts, wrestling) A grappling hold around the neck that cuts off the flow of air to the brain.
- He put his opponent in a chokehold.
- (by extension) A strong and powerful grasp on something
- Your country has a chokehold on our economy.
- 2021 September 15, Laura Martin, “How talent shows became TV's most bizarre programmes”, in BBC:
- With the music industry releasing their chokehold on these television talent shows, it too is looking to other sources like social media – Wade calls TikTok "one giant talent show" – to find new talent rather than primetime TV.
grappling hold around the neck
- to put in a chokehold