From Middle English choken (also cheken), from Old English *ċēocian, āċēocian (“to choke”), probably derived from Old English ċēoce, ċēace (“jaw, cheek”), see cheek. Cognate with Icelandic kok (“throat”), koka (“to gulp”). See also achoke.
choke (third-person singular simple present chokes, present participle choking, simple past and past participle choked)
- (intransitive) To be unable to breathe because of obstruction of the windpipe, for instance food or other objects that go down the wrong way.
- (transitive) To prevent someone from breathing by strangling or filling the windpipe.
- With eager feeding food doth choke the feeder.
- To obstruct by filling up or clogging any passage; to block up.
- to choke a cave passage with boulders and mud
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Addison to this entry?)
- To hinder or check, as growth, expansion, progress, etc.; to stifle.
- Oats and darnel choke the rising corn.
- (intransitive, fluid mechanics, of a duct) to reach a condition of maximum flowrate, due to the flow at the narrowest point of the duct becoming sonic (Ma = 1).
- (intransitive) To perform badly at a crucial stage of a competition because one is nervous, especially when one is winning.
- To move one's fingers very close to the tip of a pencil, brush or other art tool.
- To be checked, as if by choking; to stick.
- Sir Walter Scott
- The words choked in his throat.
- To affect with a sense of strangulation by passion or strong feeling.
- Jonathan Swift
- I was choked at this word.
- To make a choke, as in a cartridge, or in the bore of the barrel of a shotgun.
be unable to breathe because of obstruction of the windpipe
prevent someone from breathing by strangling them
to hinder growth of a plant especially as by weeds
choke (plural chokes)
- A control on a carburetor to adjust the air/fuel mixture when the engine is cold.
- (sports) In wrestling, karate (etc.), a type of hold that can result in strangulation.
- A constriction at the muzzle end of a shotgun barrel which affects the spread of the shot.
- A partial or complete blockage (of boulders, mud, etc.) in a cave passage.
- The mass of immature florets in the centre of the bud of an artichoke.
- (electronics) choking coil
type of hold in wrestling etc.
constriction at a shotgun barrel