- Easily agitated or alarmed; edgy, on edge.
- Being in a crowd of strangers makes me nervous.
- Apprehensive, anxious, hesitant, worried.
- Relating to or affecting the nerves.
- the central nervous system
- (obsolete) Showing nervous strength; vigorous; sinewy.
- (obsolete) Of a piece of writing: forceful, powerful.
- 1663, Edward Waterhouse, Fortescutus Illustratus, or a Commentary on that Nervous Treatise De Laudibus Legum Angliæ, Written by Sir John Fortescue Knight, first Lord Chief Justice, after Lord Chancellour to King Henry the Sixth. Which Treatise, Dedicated to Prince Edward that King's Son and Heir (whom he Attended in his Retirement into France, and to whom he Loyally and Affectionately Imparted himself in the Virtue and Variety of his Excellent Discourse) Hee Purposely Wrote to Consolidate his Princely Minde in the Love and Approbation of the Good Lawes of England, and of the Laudable Customs of this Native Country. The Heroique Design of whose Excellent Judgement and Loyal Addiction to his Prince, is Humbly Endeavoured to be Revived, Admired, and Advanced, London: Printed by Tho. Roycroft for Thomas Dicas [etc.], OCLC 830342279:
- Fortescutus illustratus, or a commentary on that nervous treatise De Laudibus Legum Angliæ ... [book title]
Terms derived from nervous
relating to the nerves