Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (informal) A person whose personality and behavior are characterized by worry, insecurity, and timidity.
- 1925 January 19, “Gentlemen Asleep”, in Time:
- Political opponents doubted his capacity, referred to him as "too nervous, too worried a little man," and remarked that his Senatorial colleagues used to refer to him humorously as "Nervous Nellie."
- 1993 November 22, Zoglin, Richard, “Hill Street Blues on Happy Juice”, in Time, TV review of "Bakersfield P.D.":
- The captain is a nervous Nellie who can't make a decision without the approval of his protective aide-de-camp.
- nervous-Nellie (adjective)
- Alibi Ike, Dapper Dan, doubting Thomas, Gentleman Jim, gloomy Gus, good-time Charlie, plain Jane, Silent Sam
- nervous Nellie at OneLook Dictionary Search