shaft (plural shafts)
- (obsolete) The entire body of a long weapon, such as an arrow.
- The long, narrow, central body of a spear, arrow, or javelin.
- Her hand slipped off the javelin's shaft towards the spearpoint and that's why her score was lowered.
- 1879, R[ichard] J[efferies], chapter II, in The Amateur Poacher, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., […], OCLC 752825175:
- Orion hit a rabbit once; but though sore wounded it got to the bury, and, struggling in, the arrow caught the side of the hole and was drawn out. […]. Ikey the blacksmith had forged us a spearhead after a sketch from a picture of a Greek warrior; and a rake-handle served as a shaft.
- (by extension) Anything cast or thrown as a spear or javelin.
- Any long thin object, such as the handle of a tool, one of the poles between which an animal is harnessed to a vehicle, the driveshaft of a motorized vehicle with rear-wheel drive, an axle, etc.
- 1967, Sleigh, Barbara, Jessamy, 1993 edition, Sevenoaks, Kent: Bloomsbury, →ISBN, page 57:
- While Kitto chatted to William, Jessamy looked with interest at the dog cart. It had a pair of high wooden wheels with two seats back to back above. Between the shafts the bay mare tossed her head and fidgeted on the cobbles.
- 2013 July-August, Lee S. Langston, “The Adaptable Gas Turbine”, in American Scientist:
- Turbines have been around for a long time—windmills and water wheels are early examples. The name comes from the Latin turbo, meaning vortex, and thus the defining property of a turbine is that a fluid or gas turns the blades of a rotor, which is attached to a shaft that can perform useful work.
- A beam or ray of light.
- Isn't that shaft of light from that opening in the cave beautiful?
- The main axis of a feather.
- I had no idea that they removed the feathers' shafts to make the pillows softer!
- (lacrosse) The long narrow body of a lacrosse stick.
- Sarah, if you wear gloves your hands might not slip on your shaft and you can up your game, girl!
- A vertical or inclined passage sunk into the earth as part of a mine
- Your grandfather used to work with a crane hauling ore out of the gold mine's shafts.
- A vertical passage housing a lift or elevator; a liftshaft.
- Darn it, my keys fell through the gap and into the elevator shaft.
- A ventilation or heating conduit; an air duct.
- Our parrot flew into the air duct and got stuck in the shaft.
- (architecture) Any column or pillar, particularly the body of a column between its capital and pedestal.
- The main cylindrical part of the penis.
- The female labia minora is homologous to the penis shaft skin of males.
- The chamber of a blast furnace.
In Early Modern English, the shaft referred to the entire body of a long weapon, such that an arrow's "shaft" was composed of its "tip", "stale" or "steal", and "fletching". Palsgrave (circa 1530) glossed the French j[']empenne as "I fether a shafte, I put fethers upon a steale". Over time, the word came to be used in place of the former "stale" and lost its original meaning.
- stale, stail, steal, stele, steel (arrows, spears)
- (main axis of a feather): rachis
- mineshaft (vertical underground passage)
- angle shaft
- cardan shaft
- drive shaft
- elevator shaft
- get the shaft
- give someone the shaft
- hail shaft
- line shaft
- propeller shaft
- prop shaft
- shaft alley
- shaft bow
- shaft cave
- shaft encoder
- shaft furnace
- view shaft
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- (transitive, slang) To fuck over; to cause harm to, especially through deceit or treachery.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:deceive
- Your boss really shafted you by stealing your idea like that.
- 1992, “Crackers And Cheese”, performed by Eminem:
- Who can I trust after repeatedly being shafted
- (transitive) To equip with a shaft.
- (transitive, slang) To fuck; to have sexual intercourse with.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:copulate with
- Turns out my roommate was shafting my girlfriend.
- 2018 Christian Cooke as Mickey Argyle, "Episode 2", Ordeal by Innocence (written by Sarah Phelps) 23 minutes
- Well at least I can get it up. No wonder Mary's going out of her head. Stuck with you sponging off her and not even a decent shafting for her trouble.
- Alternative form of
- Alternative form of