Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To make shorter; to abbreviate.
- (intransitive) To become shorter.
- (transitive) To make deficient (as to); to deprive (of).
- Spoiled of his nose, and shortened of his ears.
- (transitive) To make short or friable, as pastry, with butter, lard, etc.
- (transitive) To reduce or diminish in amount, quantity, or extent; to lessen.
- to shorten an allowance of food
- Here, where the subject is so fruitful, I am shortened by my chain.
- (nautical, transitive) To take in the slack of (a rope).
- (nautical, transitive) To reduce (sail) by taking it in.
- See also Wikisaurus:shorten
to make shorter
to become shorter