Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
baking (not comparable)
- (Should we delete(+) this sense?) Intended for use in baking food.
- Here is a baking tray for the cookies.
- (figuratively) Of a person, the weather, or an object, very hot.
- I'm baking - could you open the window?
- An action in which something is baked
- I'm going to do some baking this afternoon.
1861, Harriet Jacobs (Linda Brent), Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl:
- Upon these terms, after working hard all day for her mistress, she began her midnight bakings, assisted by her two oldest children.
- The way in which something is baked
1871, Ledyard Bill, Minnesota; Its Character and Climate:
- How often have we risen in the morning, after spending the night in this manner, with a feeling akin to that which we fancy would come from being knocked in the head with a sack of meal, then gently stewed, and all out of pure fraternal regard to supply any deficiencies in our original bakings.
1913, Captain R. F. Scott, Scott's Last Expedition Volume I:
- Clissold's work of cooking has fallen on Hooper and Lashly, and it is satisfactory to find that the various dishes and bread bakings maintain their excellence.
action in which something is baked
baking f (definite singular bakinga)