Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- present participle of
1922, "The Bride's Cookery Primer", Good Housekeeping, volume 74, page 66:
- Broiling is but another way of roasting those cuts of meat which have a broad, flat surface such as steaks, chops, or cutlets. And in broiling them the heat must be so intense that the meat surface is quickly seared, the pores sealed and every particle of flavor and rich juices imprisoned.
- 2007, Suzanne Tracy, Practical Cook Book, Applewood Books (ISBN 9781429011044), page 21
- Broiling is the most perfect way of cooking meat and fish. There are three ways of broiling, — what is known as broiling proper, pan broiling and oven broiling. Broiling proper is to broil directly over the coals; the fire must be hot, clear and free from smoke.
broiling (plural broilings)
- A food prepared by broiling.
1974, Bruce H. Axler, Showmanship in the Dining Room, page 30:
- Likewise, when mixed broilings or skewered meats are offered, they can be kept warm or finished on a modest-sized table-top grill.