Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: préparé
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pɹɪˈpɛə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /pɹɪˈpɛɹ/, /pɹəˈpɛɹ/
Audio (US) (file)
- (transitive) To make ready for a specific future purpose; to set up; to assemble.
- We prepared the spacecraft for takeoff.
- Bible, Psalms cvii. 36
- that they may prepare a city for habitation
- our souls, not yet prepared for upper light
- (transitive) To make ready for eating or drinking; to cook.
- We prepared a fish for dinner.
- (intransitive) To make oneself ready; to get ready, make preparation.
1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 19, The China Governess:
- As soon as Julia returned with a constable, Timothy, who was on the point of exhaustion, prepared to give over to him gratefully. The newcomer turned out to be a powerful youngster, fully trained and eager to help, and he stripped off his tunic at once.
- We prepared for a bumpy ride.
- (transitive) To produce or make by combining elements; to synthesize, compound.
- She prepared a meal from what was left in the cupboards.
- This is a catenative verb that can take a following verb in its to + infinitive form. See Appendix:English catenative verbs
to make ready for a specific future purpose
to make ready for eating or drinking
to make oneself ready
to produce by combining elements
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (obsolete) preparation
- first-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person singular present subjunctive of
- first-person singular imperative of
- third-person singular imperative of
- Formal second-person singular (usted) imperative form of preparar.
- First-person singular (yo) present subjunctive form of preparar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) present subjunctive form of preparar.
- Third-person singular (él, ella, also used with usted?) present subjunctive form of preparar.