Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (US) enPR: chôr'təl, IPA(key): /ˈt͡ʃɔɹtəl/, [ˈt͡ʃɔɹɾɫ̩]
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɔː(r)təl
chortle (plural chortles)
- A joyful, somewhat muffled laugh, rather like a snorting chuckle.
- He frequently interrupted himself with chortles while he told us his favorite joke.
- A similar sounding vocalisation of various birds.
joyful, somewhat muffled laugh
- (intransitive) To laugh with a chortle or chortles.
- The old fellow chortled as he recalled his youthful adventures.