Jump to navigation Jump to search
chuckle (plural chuckles)
|Problems listening to this file? See media help.|
- A quiet laugh.
a quiet laugh
- To laugh quietly or inwardly.
- (transitive) To communicate through chuckling.
- She chuckled her assent to my offer as she got in the car.
- (intransitive, archaic) To make the sound of a chicken; to cluck.
- (transitive, archaic) To call together, or call to follow, as a hen calls her chickens; to cluck.
- (transitive, archaic) To fondle; to indulge or pamper.
- (to laugh quietly): see also Thesaurus:laugh
- (to fondle): grope, pet, touch up; see also Thesaurus:fondle
- (to pamper): coddle, posset; see also Thesaurus:pamper
to laugh quietly or inwardly
to make the sound of chicken
Perhaps from chock (“a log”).