Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The smallest part of a town enclosed by streets.
- The store is huge, occupying an entire city block.
- The distance from one urban street to the next, or an approximately comparable distance.
- In Lawrence, a mile is generally 12 city blocks east-west or 8 blocks north-south.
- Go along that road for about a city block, and you should see an old barn.
- Distance can vary widely from roughly one fifth to one half kilometer (one eighth to one third mile).
part of town enclosed by streets