Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The gentle or kind exercise of power; leniency, mercy; compassion in judging or punishing.
- 1601, William Shakespeare, Hamlet:
- For vs, and for our Tragedie, / Heere stooping to your Clemencie: / We begge your hearing Patientlie.
- 2010, Priyamvada Gopal, The Guardian, 4 May 2010:
- A death sentence for Kasab, seen to represent Pakistan, will be widely supported in a frenzy of righteous retribution. Presidential clemency is politically improbable.
- (law) A pardon, commutation, or similar reduction, removal, or postponement of legal penalties by an executive officer of a state.
- (now rare) Mildness of weather.
legal: pardon, commutation or similar reduction, removal, or postponement of legal penalties
mildness of weather