Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Coachman
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈkoʊt͡ʃmən/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkəʊt͡ʃmən/
- Hyphenation: coach‧man
coachman (plural coachmen)
- A man who drives a horse-drawn coach, a male coach driver.
- 1877, Anna Sewell, “Chapter 22”, in Black Beauty: […], London: Jarrold and Sons, […], →OCLC:
- In about half-an-hour John and Mr. York, who was to be our new coachman, came in to see us. "Now Mr. Manly," he said, after carefully looking at us both, "I can see no fault in these horses, but we all know that horses have their peculiarities as well as men, and that sometimes they need different treatment; I should like to know if there is anything particular in either of these, that you would like to mention."
- (South Africa) A fish in the genus Heniochus, either Heniochus acuminatus or Heniochus diphreutes.
male coach driver — see coach driver