cockling (plural cocklings)
- A young, small, or immature cock.
1725, Sir Philip Sidney, The works of the Honourable Sir Philip Sidney:
- These cocklings cocker'd we bewail too late, When that we see our off-spring gaily bent, Women manwood, and men effeminate.
- 1858, The Knickerbocker: or, New-York monthly magazine - Volume 54 - Page 521:
- Take warning in time, cocklings; look sharp — but not in this direction, if you please.'
- 1920, The Pennsylvania magazine of history and biography - Volume 44 - Page 74:
- 'That ere our pretty Cocklings learn to crow, To pamper Lust they must to Market go?