Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: coffer-dam
cofferdam (plural cofferdams)
- A temporary watertight structure that is pumped dry to enclose an area underwater and allow construction work on a ship, bridge, or rig to be carried out; a caisson.
- 1992, Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses, →ISBN:
- Downstream there was a small wooden cofferdam and when he woke there were naked children splashing in the pool there and he rose and wrapped his jacket about his waist and walked out along the bank where he could sit and watch them.
- (nautical) An empty space that acts as a protective barrier between two floors or bulkheads on a ship.
- caisson, a similar permanent structure