Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- commare (archaic)
From Latin commātrem, accusative of commāter, from com- (“together”) + māter (“mother”), whence also madre. Cognate to Neapolitan cummà, Sicilian cummari, Spanish and Portuguese comadre, French commère, Norman conméthe, Romanian cumătră.
- A child's godmother in relation to their parents: a cummer, co-mother; or a child's mother in relation to their co-mother and her family.
Le allegre comari di Windsor ― The Merry Wives of Windsor
- (extensively) A female wedding witness or maid of honor in relation to the spouses, or a bride in relation to her wedding witness.
- (extensively, humorous, sometimes derogatory) gossipmonger
- (extensively, informal) mistress (married man's female lover)
- (godmother): madrina
- (wedding witness): testimone, testimone di nozze
- (gossipmonger): pettegola
- (mistress, lover): amante