comity (plural comities)
- Courtesy and considerate behaviour towards others; social harmony.
- 1994, Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom, Abacus, published 2010, page 96:
- There, I saw not only flare-ups of ethnic animosity, but the comity that was also possible among men of different backgrounds.
- Friendly understanding and mutual recognition between two entities, especially nations.
- 2007 January 5, Jonathan Weisman, “Democrats Take Control on Hill”, in The Washington Post:
- Democrats took control of the House and Senate after 12 years of nearly unbroken Republican rule, with resolute calls for bipartisan comity and a pledge to move quickly on an agenda of health care, homeland security, education and energy proposals.