Jump to navigation Jump to search
- plural of
condolences pl (plural only)
- comfort, support, or sympathy offered especially to the family and friends of somebody who has died.
- I sent her a card expressing my condolences after her mother passed away.
sympathy — See also translations at condolence
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- Expressing perfunctory or jocular condolence wishes.
- 1992, Martin Cruz Smith, Red Square, page 120:
- "What were you doing at the cemetery?" / "Burying my father." / "Oh." Rodionov grunted as if he had expected a more imaginative excuse. "Condolences."
- 2008 July 15, NPR, “When Does It Go Too Far?”, in Talk of the Nation:
- Let's get another caller on the line. This is Camille. Camille with us from Visalia in California. / Visalia, California that's correct. / Go ahead please. / Hi. I'm an African-American woman and when I first saw the cover - let me preface this. I'm in central California, which is very conservative. And... / Condolences.