Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈkɑn.tɛnts/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkɒn.tɛnts/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: con‧tents
- plural of
- (chiefly in the plural) That which is contained.
- It is not covered in your homeowner's policy. You need contents insurance.
- The contents of the cup had a familiar aroma.
2006, Edwin Black, chapter 1, in Internal Combustion:
- Blast after blast, fiery outbreak after fiery outbreak, like a flaming barrage from within, […] most of Edison's grounds soon became an inferno. As though on an incendiary rampage, the fires systematically devoured the contents of Edison's headquarters and facilities.
- (plural only) A table of contents, a list of chapters, etc. in a book, and the page numbers on which they start.
- I always start a book by reading the dustjacket and the contents before I really dig in to the content itself.
table of contents — see table of contents
that which is contained
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- third-person singular simple present indicative form of content