Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈkɑn.tɛnts/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkɒn.tɛnts/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: con‧tents
- (usually in the plural) That which is contained.
- It is not covered in your homeowner's policy. You need contents insurance.
- The contents of the cup had a familiar aroma.
- 2006, Edwin Black, chapter 1, in Internal Combustion:
- Blast after blast, fiery outbreak after fiery outbreak, like a flaming barrage from within, […] most of Edison's grounds soon became an inferno. As though on an incendiary rampage, the fires systematically devoured the contents of Edison's headquarters and facilities.
- (plural only) A table of contents, a list of chapters, etc. in a book, and the page numbers on which they start.
- I always start a book by reading the dustjacket and the contents before I really dig in to the content itself.
table of contents — see table of contents
that which is contained
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- third-person singular simple present indicative form of content
- English 2-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- English non-lemma forms
- English noun forms
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms with usage examples
- English terms with quotations
- English pluralia tantum
- English verb forms
- Catalan non-lemma forms
- Catalan adjective forms
- French 2-syllable words
- French terms with IPA pronunciation
- French terms with audio links
- French terms with homophones
- French non-lemma forms
- French adjective forms
- Norman non-lemma forms
- Norman adjective forms