Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- cowslippe (obsolete)
From Middle English cowslyppe, from Old English cūslyppe (“cowslip”), from cū (“cow”) + slyppe (“paste, viscid substance”), related to Old English slūpan (“to slip, glide, move softly”). Compare oxlip.
cowslip (plural cowslips)
- A low-growing plant, Primula veris, with yellow flowers.
- Any of several other plants related or similar in appearance
- Primula deorum, a flowering plant known as God's cowslip and rila cowslip
- Primula florindae, a flowering plant known as giant cowslip and Tibetan cowslip
- Primula sikkimensis, a flowering plant known as Himalayan cowslip and Sikkim cowslip
- (Canada, US, regional) marsh marigold, Caltha palustris, a plant in the buttercup family, growing in wet, boggy locations.
- Pulmonaria angustifolia, blue cowslip or narrow-leaved lungwort
- (Primula veris): paigle, herb Peter
- (Caltha palustris): marsh marigold, kingcup, mayflower, mollyblobs, pollyblobs, horse blob