- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌkɹɪptəʊdɪˈpɹɛʃən/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌkɹiptoʊdəˈpɹɛʃ(ə)n/
- Hyphenation: cryp‧to‧de‧press‧ion
cryptodepression (plural cryptodepressions)
- (geography, limnology) The portion of a lake which lies below sea level.
1957, George Evelyn Hutchinson, A Treatise on Limnology: Geography, physics, and chemistry:
- When the bottom of the lake lies below mean sea level, it is said to occupy a cryptodepression, the depth of which is the depth below seal level of the deepest point of the basin.