Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Fearful, terrible.
- 1593, [William Shakespeare], Venvs and Adonis, London: Imprinted by Richard Field, […], OCLC 837166078, [verse 17]; 2nd edition, London: Imprinted by Richard Field, […], 1594, OCLC 701755207, lines [97–100]:
- 1596, Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene, VI.11:
- read what destiny / Or other dyrefull hap from heaven or hell / Hath wrought this wicked deed […].
- 1603-06, William Shakespeare, Macbeth, I.2:
- "As whence the sun gins his reflection, shipwrecking storms and direful thunders break."