Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌdɪskənˈsɜːtɪŋ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌdɪskənˈsɝtɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Tending to cause discomfort, uneasiness or alarm; unsettling; troubling; upsetting.
- Even with a safety harness, losing one's grip that high up is disconcerting.
1920, Herman Cyril McNeile, chapter 1, in Bulldog Drummond:
- "You must admit," he remarked, "that up to now our conversation has hardly proceeded along conventional lines. I am a complete stranger to you; another man who is a complete stranger to me speaks to you while we're at tea. You inform me that I shall probably have to kill him in the near future. The statement is, I think you will agree, a trifle disconcerting."