Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- An entertaining diversion.
- (ballet) A short ballet within a larger work, usually providing a break from the main plot.
2009, January 24, “Alastair Macaulay”, in A Young, Lively Crew From Florida Steps Up and Takes Flight:
- Patricia Delgado, though taller and paler-skinned, strongly resembles Jeanette, and in Miami they often dance together (in the “Emeralds” pas de trois from “Jewels,” for example, or leading successive divertissements in Balanchine’s “Swan Lake”).
- Often written in italics (divertissement), or pronounced as a French word.
- IPA(key): /di.vɛʁ.tis.mɑ̃/
- Homophone: divertissements
- Hyphenation: di‧ver‧tisse‧ment
Audio (FR) (file)
divertissement m (plural divertissements)