Jump to navigation Jump to search
- oppress, suppress, exploit, persecute, step down on; put down; denigrate, subjugate
- 1935, The Cotton Oil Press, Vol.19, Digitized edition, published 2009, page 36:
- And I don't know of any manufacturer or any industry that wants to downtrod the farmer.
- 1967, The AOPA pilot: Volume 10, Part 1 (Aeronautics), Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, page 64:
- I've heard wicked rumors that FAA and wives try to downtrod small aircraft pilots.
- 2009 July 11, JF, comment, “Top House Republican slams Obama over stimulus, jobs”, in CNN, retrieved 2012-02-20:
- And having an entire group of people constantly waiting in the wings to downtrod even the slightest POSITIVE moves does not help matters.
- (archaic or poetic) downtrodden; abused by superior power
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
- Richard Armour
- Consider the lowly, downtrod worm.